TEDxWarwick 2020 Director Recruitment
TEDxWarwick is one of the largest TEDx events in Europe. An annual event, TEDxWarwick takes place in the well-renowned Warwick Arts Centre, attracting an audience of 1200 people and garnering an online viewership of over 4 million. TEDxWarwick consistently attracts a diverse range of the highest calibre speakers from across the world to share their ideas worth spreading. Organising an event of such prestige requires a diverse, talented and passionate team.
There are a few general qualities every TEDxWarwick director must have. These include: exceptional leadership skills; a strong commitment to–and willingness to dedicate significant amounts of time to–the organisation of the event; excellent professionalism, and an understanding of TED and its ethos. We encourage applications both from previous team members and those who haven’t been a part of the TEDxWarwick team before.
The TEDxWarwick team is organised into 8 sub-teams, each led by a director (and in some cases a deputy or vice director as well). We are pleased to announce that applications for our director positions are now open. All students, undergraduate and postgraduate, are eligible to apply for a position. The particular details of each team are described below:Apply now
Director of Operations
The Operations Team is responsible for the flawless execution of TEDxWarwick 2020. This includes, but is not limited to: venue, catering, speaker travel and volunteer management. The Operations team works closely with the other TEDxWarwick teams to ensure that all logistics and operations are in order. The Director must be able to communicate effectively with service providers, coordinate a team quickly and efficiently and be able to deal with unexpected problems. Due to the nature of the work, the Director of Operations must be able to dedicate large amounts of time in the weeks leading up to the event.
- Understand the various components that form event management
- Have strong organisational skills, with previous experience in organising events
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Have strong communication and problem solving skills
- Be flexible, passionate and willing to take the initiative
Director of Content
The Content Team are tasked with the selection and curation of all speakers. The Director of Content must have an extensive network and be confident and committed to the ethos of TED, with a vision of bringing the world’s greatest thinkers and doers (from both within and without the University) to the 2020 events. Other responsibilities include leading speaker preparation and speaker hospitality, working closely with all speakers throughout content development to make sure all arrangements are met and content is rehearsed to ensure speakers give the best talk of their life.
The Content Team is responsible for suggesting and contacting potential speakers for the main TEDxWarwick conference and for the three TEDxWarwick salon events, and the Director is responsible for leading this effort from Term 3 onwards. We are therefore looking for candidates with the following qualities:
- Excellent research skills
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills
- Ability to remain committed and focused in the face of regular disappointment
- Capacity to rapidly synthesise information and accurately offer constructive feedback to further develop speakers’ content
- A high level of professionalism
- An excellent comprehension of the English language
Director of Marketing
The Marketing team works towards moulding the public perception and the branding of TEDxWarwick, in and around the Warwick community, through the promotion of our event as well as the TED ethos. The team’s responsibilities include executing a high quality on-campus and social media advertising strategy, creating content for the blog and newsletter and running outreach programmes that further TEDxWarwick’s presence in the local community. The Director of Marketing must therefore be able to lead the team’s marketing efforts and liaise between the Marketing Team and other TEDxWarwick teams (in particular Creative).
We are therefore looking for applicants who:
- Can effectively communicate ideas, both verbally and in written form
- Have creative ability and original ideas
- Understand the broad audience of TEDxWarwick
- Have previous experience running a marketing campaign
- Have experience managing social media channels
- Are able to manage and execute large marketing strategies
Director of Corporate Relations
The Corporate Relations Team focuses on creating and maintaining strong partnership relations with sponsors and with the press. This is an ongoing process throughout the year and requires a Director who is committed to working intimately with our sponsors, both inside and outside the University, from term 3. We are therefore looking for applicants who:
- Are professional, persuasive and confident in their interactions with the companies that we deal with; previous sponsorship experience is welcomed but not a prerequisite
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail when interacting with external firms
- Have a holistic understanding and interest in what drives TEDxWarwick and what makes it valuable to sponsors and the press
The Creative Director is responsible for the overall direction of all design aspects of the event, ensuring that all work is of high quality and consistent style. The Creative team’s responsibilities include design of posters and marketing material, speaker and sponsorship packs, the TEDxWarwick 2020 Magazine, stage and foyer design, creating photo and video content and coordinating the design of the website with the Technical Director. A successful applicant must:
- Be willing to dedicate a fair portion of their time throughout the year towards creating visual elements for the TEDxWarwick brand
- Have an eye for detail, with the ability to curate visual elements as a means to promote our events
- Desirable to have experience in at least one of the following programs: Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign
- Have good communication skills, being able to coordinate both the Creative Team and with other TEDxWarwick teams
The role of Technical Director involves designing and maintaining our extensive website, as well as coordinating the technical aspects of TEDxWarwick events. The Technical Director works closely with the Creative, Marketing and Operations teams, and in particular liaises with departments of the University of Warwick and the Warwick Arts Centre in the build up to our main event.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has a working knowledge of videography including use of cine cameras, lens selection and lighting
- Is willing to devote a significant amount of time to prepare for each event, and to maintain/update our website in between.
Director of Publications
Since we introduced the inaugural TEDxWarwick Magazine in 2014, we are looking for a Director of Publications, responsible for editing and curating the content of our 2020 magazine. The magazine is comprised of information about the team and event, articles from previous speakers, articles on the year’s theme and more, and also includes interactive content on our website accessible using links printed in the magazine.
Therefore, a successful applicant for the role of Director of Publications must:
- Have a strong understanding of the TED ethos and a vision for TEDxWarwick publications
- Have an exceptional competency and understanding of the English language and the written word
- Have good communication skills for liaising with the Technical Director, and Creative Team on the design of both the printed publication and interactive magazine
- Preferably have previous experience working on a printed magazine or book, but this is not essential
- Have excellent time management skills
The role of Treasurer is a combined administrative and treasurer role. The Treasurer is responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the administrative side of the event organising process. Duties include managing the budget, scheduling meetings, taking detailed and accurate minutes, ensuring deadlines are kept to and liaising with the Warwick SU on administrative and financial matters.
We are therefore looking for an applicant who:
- Has excellent organisational skills
- Has proficiency in financial administration
- Is reliable and punctual
- Preferably, but not essentially, has familiarity with Warwick SU’s finance and administration system